Monday, September 1, 2008

Monday




Today was the first day of teaching on my own. I had 8 classes today. I teach 5 and 6 year olds in the early part, and then older students 7-9 in the afternoon. All of the students were very good. They want to learn english and try hard to repeat what I am saying. They often get their L's confused with R's and vise versa. They also struggle with the U sound, usually making an O sound. They are very competitive, trying to finish the assignment first before the others. They also love to sing, and it is amusing to hear a class full of students singing along in english.
Tomorrow I have 6 classes and finish an hour earlier. I think this will be a good year, and I will learn as much from them as they do from me. Also, I gave 5 new students english names. I gave each of them names to choose from. I have three students named after my brothers and my cousin, Jason. Also one is named after my cousin, Amy : )
It rained all day, and is still raining. I am very tired. I hear there is a terrible hurricane in New Orleans, sending many refugees to Texas. Similar to Katrina. I hope everyone is finding safe haven.
This weekend will bring many great things. Mandy will be here Friday night, and Saturday I go to Ittewan with Yong Jeong to visit a westernized part of Seoul. I can't wait to buy some books! They also have a Baskin Robbins that I want to visit to get some ice cream!
I am being taken good care of here, and most everyone that sees me at the store looking confused wants to help me. I am grateful for that. Until next time. -Katie

3 comments:

laura.rose said...

Katie,

I am so glad to hear you're doing well over there. Seems so exciting for you. Keep posting -- I check every day for your updates. Love and miss you, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast! You look great.

Building Mum said...

Katie- you DO look beautiful in these pics! That sushi looks yummy too!!

So, now I want to see a picture of mini-Amy in your class!! You're sooo incredibly adorable missy!

I'd say this house is quiet without you, but you know I'd be lying!! The boys say hi and wish you were here.

XOXOXOXO- Cuz Amy