Saturday, August 30, 2008

The weekend

I have spent a week in Seoul. The week was exhausting. I was given so much information about teaching that I thought my head was going to explode. I start teaching Monday. This seems insane to me, but at least I have some books to work with, and I think a lot of the classroom time I will just be "wingin it". That's what the other American teachers told me when they started they just had to make it up as they went along.
I am walking everywhere. To work, the store, anything I need I have to walk to get it. I'm getting more used to the area of town I live in. Last night after work Derek and I took the subway to Hong Die (not correct spelling but that is how it sounds). It is an area of Seoul that has many westerners in it. When we got off the subway it was like a different world. Neon lights, huge buildings, so many people, peddlers on the sides of the narrow roads selling food, clothes, shoes. Lots of bars. I passed by two Starbucks : ) There is also a lot of food variety. I am getting a little anxiety about the food situation here, it is sooo different from what I am used to. I think I will go there on the weekends so that I can have different food. They have greek, vietnamese, and other types of restaurants there.
I met Derek's highschool friend, Kyle, and many Canadians last night. They all seemed a little younger than me. Maybe 24-26 and all were very preppy looking. They were nice enough, but I still felt a little out of place not knowing anyone. They like to party hard. Apparently, Derek is a party animal. We went to a cool upstairs bar that I liked a lot. I had a vodka orange juice. Derek and his friends had shots and drinks. After about 5 drinks I was spent and ready to go home. After I asked Derek to please take us home, he told me that I could go home by myself in a cab. I was a little hurt by that. I didn't want to go home by myself so I stayed out with him and his friends. I dont expect Derek to be my babysitter, but I sure as hell wasnt going to leave his side for the night in a foreign place, so I just drank a lot of water and waited until he was finished. We took a cab home, it was about $6 for the cab, and made it home around 5am. I will never do that again.
It's funny, being around all of those white people last night should have made me feel more connected, but ironically enough it made me lonely. I felt lonely for the first time last night. I'm sure it wont be the last. I'm not terribly sad, just felt a little pang of lonely. And the fact that it took some white people to make me feel it was just funny to me. It was good to go out and see something new, and see westerners all around me, but I just dont like staying out like that so I will figure something out.
I made a friend on the plane ride over here. His name is Yong Jeong. We have made contact through email and we will get to visit each other next weekend probably. He is going to show me around the city. I am excited about that. He is so nice and I think we will be good friends. Also, Mandy is coming next week!!!!!!!!!!! She will be working with Derek and I. She will live in the apt. complex right beside me. I have talked with her on facebook. From her pictures she looks very fun and cute. She looks like she likes to party too, so I'm sure Derek and her can handle that part of our adventures. It's not that I don't like to go out, but I guess I'll just find people that have a going-out schedule more like mine. Home and in bed by 2 or 3am : ) Anyway, I am so ready to have an American woman near me. I need a girlfriend here! So am very anxious for her to get here.
In my apartment complex there is always the owner of one of the two maintenance men that stay at the front desk. I have rarely walked by the front door and not seen someone in there. I dont know if they stay all night, but I think they do. Which is comforting to me. One of the maintenance men is a short guy probably in his 50's who always smiles at me. He also likes to sing very loud in Korean, and it cracks me up. The other night when I went out to smoke a cig. he brought a chair out for me and motioned me to sit under the carport. I usually sit on the short wall by the street. He kept slapping his arm saying "bogas, bogas"! I finally realized he was saying bugs. And then he said "Americans" and put his fingers to his mouth like he was holding a cig. He went back and forth a few times. I think he was trying to say Americans are chain smokers, but I'm not sure. He is always talking to me in Korean, like I can understand a word he is saying, but it is nice to have the attention and I try to be very polite to him so he will be on my side and help me out when I need it in the future maybe. Most of the Koreans I see everyday on the street do not smile. A lot of the men in the evenings get together outside of little convenience stores and hang out. Today when I was walking home I saw a few of them squatting outside talking. It was odd to see men squatting and hanging out, but that is a comfortable position for them I guess.
I am glad I live in Youngdeongpo. There are not as many Americans around, but it is quieter and more peaceful than Hong Die. And Hong Die is only two subway stops away when I want to get out. I think god was looking out for me when she helped me find this job. She/he -whatever. Whoever god is she is looking out for me I think.
I miss my family very much. I am so glad that I have such wonderful people in my life, and that I am able to have this adventure and tell it to you all that I love. It fills my heart, I am grateful. Ok, so obviously I am starting to feel very emotional and corny, so I will leave you for now. I am doing very well, eating well, sleeping well, and happy to be here. Talk soon. Love -Katie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to find a shirt in Hong Die that says "Me So(Not)Horny" just for shits and giggles. Miss you and love you, Katie Girl! :) Love, Dustin

Megan Elizabeth said...

Katie that was a good excerpt from your life, that I wish I was still a part of. Well, at least for now. Too bad I cant send over myself and two cups of coffee. I still owe you a cup. Miss you and love you oodles!

Megan

Megan Elizabeth said...

p.s. You will do great teaching. Those kiddos are going to be so lucky to have Katie teacher!