Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chicken poop home

In Korea, especially around my neighborhood. They have very different ways of advertising. The neighborhood consists of a maze of streets. Usually specific streets sell a certain product. There are a few attached streets with beef restaurants. Some pork streets, some seafood, then there are rows of beer and soju bars. The restaurants are my favorite entertainment. I will upload some pictures as soon as I can get back down there and take some. It's really cold right now for little outings. But anyway, the front of the restaurants picture what they are serving. You will first see a picture of some cows grazing in a field, and right next to it is a picture of raw meat on a platter. Lots of raw meat pictures for both beef and pork all over the front of the restaurants. There are also cute cartoon depictions of a happy pig beside a happy cook, and at the top of one restaurant a big happy purple squid bids you come in for some delicious squid soup. I guess the happy animals have no idea they are about to be someone's meal. The raw meat pictures are interesting to me. I guess it is appetizing to see, and helps people make their decision about the best place to eat.
I just recently learned the name of one of the food products that had me laughing for days. They serve chicken butt here, called dak dong jip, which literally translates to chicken poop home. Ummm, yes, waiter, I'd like some delicious chicken poop home for my meal please! You have to understand that the language and usage of is so very different here from America, but things like this are just too good not to tell you about. I forgot my camera when I went grocery shopping, but man is was a trove of good stuff. Squid lying out for purchase, large quantities of cooked pig legs at the deli. The market is really into the pig heads. They have them displayed on rotating disks to draw buyers to them. Yummmmmmy!
Ok, just felt the need to share. Happy eating, everyone.

No comments: