Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last day before teaching on my own

Today is Friday. I have spent the week observing other teachers. Although this seems adequate, I am still feeling nervous. We have not been given a lesson plan, looked over the books we are using, or told how to teach. Just observing classes is helpful, but next week is definitely going to be a challenge. It's sort of a sink or swim situation.
Yesterday Derek and I went to the hospital with John and Julie (school director and recruiter) to get a visa health check where they took blood and pee test, xrayed my chest, tested my sight and hearing and teeth. As usual there was difficulty finding a good vein for me, but the lady only had to try once, she was very steady.
I am getting used to the surrounding area by my apartment, but not that well yet. I know how to walk left toward the market and internet cafe (I haven't gone back to the market yet. I know where to avoid the dog bodies, but I am just still struggling with the image and am apprehensive about going anywhere near that again. But, honestly the rest of the market was fine. Lots of fish out and rice in huge tubs, fresh fruit. So it would be silly of my not to take advantage of it at some point). To the right, left, right takes me out to a large intersection, huge intersection, I will try and take a picture of it today. Then across the huge intersection to my school, about a ten minute walk. I'm a little more familiar with the places right by the school, but don't go very far down either way.
Near the school there is a great little restaurant that one of the other teacher's has shown us. $3-4 gets you a huge helping of bulgulgi and also this pork dish with a really yummy brown gravy that has a tangy flavor. Behind the school and about a five minute walk is Lotte Mart. It is a huge store with food court, clothing, electronics, groceries, home goods. The food court has a Dunkin Donuts and fruit ice cream and a coffee cafe, and Korean food. I go there for things I need in my apartment. Lotte is a huge corporation in South Korea. I am told that there are just a few corporations here , but that they are huge corporations. There's Lotte Mart, Lotte Hotels, Lotte Theme Park, and the list goes on.
There are two Korean-American teachers names Matt and David that grew up in America and are over here teaching also. They have shown us around quite a bit and are very kind. They are both leaving by next week, but David is staying in Korea to take language classes in Korean, and plans to stay indefinitely, so I will have a good contact with him this year. This weekend Derek and I are going with him to Ittewan, and area of the city that has more American goods. I need some books and shirts. I'm excited about using the subway because I need to learn so that I can get mobile.
Next Thursday once our health checks come back, we are going to immigration office to "officialize" our stay here. It's quite a process to get a job over here. And next Monday I start teaching. I'm nervous, but I have this weekend to try and get prepared mentally.
There is so much more to say, but its still kindof jumbled around in my head. I'll keep trying though. I love this blog so that I can keep everyone updated! Love-Katie

1 comment:

Courtney said...

katie, i love you so much! it sounds like you're adjusting well, and your apartment looks really cute! i'm sorry about the whole dog-body. that's really scary! but, appreciative that you weren't actually allowed to take a picture of it. don't worry, wicket (two ts?) is safe! *HUGS and LOVE from Ohio!*